Resources for Country Studies
- - Proprietary, royalty-free world, continent, country, and state maps. Included in the 4,000-plus maps are political maps, physical maps, outline maps, population maps, precipitation maps, climate maps, and other thematic maps. New maps are added to the collection every month. Also includes antique maps, country flags, NASA maps, geography databases, and lesson plans.
- American Fact Finder - Offers U.S. Census information on population, economic, housing, and geographic data.
- Background Notes - This site from the U.S. Department of State contains information on all the countries of the world with which the United States has relations. They include facts on the country's land, people, history, government, political conditions, economy, and its relations with other countries and the United States.
- BBC News Country Studies - Full profiles provide an instant guide to history, politics, and economic background of countries. They also include audio and video clips from the BBC archives.
- CNN Student News - "News for students, resources for teachers." A combined effort by CNN Interactive and Turner Learning to provide a place to help educators and students keep pace with the world's volatile and ever-changing geographic, scientific, and political landscapes. Students will find multimedia news stories about U.S. and world events, and features on sports, entertainment, and science and technology.
- Country Studies - This site from the Library of Congress presents a description and analysis of the historical setting and the social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions of countries throughout the world.
- CIA World Fact Book - Country information including climate, people, politics, economics, education, maps, charts, statistics, and much more.
- - From the World Bank Group; country-at-a-glance tables, data-profile tables, information and communications technologies statistics; Edstats, which has statistics about education around the world; HNPStats, health, nutrition, and population statistics, genderstats, and much more.
- Geography IQ - A world atlas with geographic, economic, political, historical, and cultural information. Also includes maps, currency converter, rankings, flags, current time in major cities, and much more.
- - Create and print maps of the United States. Choose different types of maps from active volcanoes to animated exotic species and more.
- National Anthems Information - Hear the anthem, see the words; also has country flags.
- Nationmaster - This site is a massive central data source and a handy way to graphically compare nations. NationMaster is a vast compilation of data from such sources as the CIA World Factbook, UN, and OECD.
- Statemaster - This site is a unique statistical database that allows you to research and compare a multitude of different data on US states.
- - The of this site has country statistics on population, economy, technology, environment, and health that can be compared to up to four other countries. The Country at a Glance [http://cyberschoolbus.un.org/infonation/index.asp] section has basic country maps, statistics and links to news sources for individual countries.
- - Contains warnings issued by the State Department when Americans should avoid traveling in certain areas of the world. Consular information sheets are available for every country and provide facts about the country, entry requirements, security information, health conditions, and much more.
- World Geography and Culture - Facts on File Online database has geographic and thematic maps of world regions. Compare and/or rank countries, states, or provinces.
- Worldmapper - Worldmapper is a collection of world maps, where territories are re-sized on each map according to the subject of interest. There are now nearly 600 maps. Maps 1-366 are also available as PDF posters.